April 28, 2010

The PMS Post...wife, is this a trap??

The little wifey suggests to me the other day that I write a post about how her PMS affects me. I'll say it again...Janele wants me to blog about how I am affected by her PMS. This is a trap...this has to be a trap. I am a bear, trounsing through the woods, minding my own business...look, there's a huge steak on the ground! Is that steak sitting right below a dangling, giant bear cage? Eh...who cares, I'll take that bait...'cause I'm a bear! Grrrrrrrr...

PMS. Husbands everywhere have started punching themselves in the face, just hearing those three letters. So, how does PMS affect me? Well, to be honest, I'm oblivious to it. Not in that I am not affected by it, but in that I don't know that it's the PMS that is affecting me. The biggest (and most frustrating/entertaining) thing about that time of the month is that wifey likes to pick fights with me. About anything and everything. She morphs into Muhammed Ali and I'm suddenly her George Foreman (pre grilling days). I'm not going to sit here and name off things that have 'almost' turned into a fight...but you get the idea. What gets me with this is that again, I always forget that the PMS is usually why she's picking fights with me, and I get defensive and frustrated and irritated. Why are you acting like this, wifey!!?? Take your gloves off!! Then I am reminded...it's the PMS. Which actually makes me feel better. There's a REASON for the fights...it's not me! (ok, maybe some of it is me...but not all of it).

She'll say too...that PMS in no way makes this behavior 'ok,' but again, at least it's an explanation. I like explanations. I like reasons for things. There needs to be reason...order in the world. At least there's the 'comfort' of knowing that my wife isn't just flipping out for no reason every month...at least we can chalk it up to Aunt Flow stopping by for a visit. It would be RIDICULOUS if every month, around the same time, wifey just started shooting TVs with BB guns and flipping school buses...only to validate it by saying that she just loves to wreck things. I would be FREAKED OUT! But alas, we have PMS. I'm fine with PMS. Yes, it frustrates me to no end...but it's natural. It's meant to happen. It's meant to teach me patience, because ultimately I love my wife and EVERYTHING that comes with her. Flipping out in return would just be dumb...I just have to have patience. Easier said than done...but that's love sometimes. That's marriage...and that's why I love it.

- the Hubs


Ah, thanks Hubs.  Yes, it's a hard time for all of us, but we survive, all the stronger.  Thanks for hanging in there, babe!  And I gotta say, you are becoming an expert PMS handler.  You could teach a class.  
The Wifey

No comments:

Post a Comment