February 28, 2011

Man vs. Storm (aka, 'The Protector')

Captain's log -

Last night, we felt the icy grip of fear come over our household as we settled down for the night. Conducting my nightly bedtime scan of the dopplar radar, I was alarmed to find that the usually peaceful weather landscape was suddenly overtaken by a raging cold front, and embedded in that cold front...chaos. Being a weather man, I've seen my fair share of severe weather, but what I saw on my radar screen that night was both unsettling and weirdly exciting...I couldn't help but join the numerous other 'porch onlookers' in the neighborhood as eyes were adjusted skyward to the impending storm. But alas, cooler heads did prevail. My emergency sensors quickly reminded me of what was at stake, my feeble wife lying inside in the living room, trembling in fear of the doom that lay ahead...and the future children that we will bare. Simply put, their lives depended on me jumping into action.
     After alerting the authorities and local news stations that disaster was sure to come, I was able to focus my thoughts and energies on doing what every strong, noble, valiant husband shall do...run for cover. Taking wifey's cold, trembling hand, we made our way to the dimly lit basement. Using my cunning senses, I was able to locate the only light, engage said light, and thus illuminate our new home. Wife practiced her gift of wisdom and hospitality as she pulled out a boogie board in order to rest our weary bodies...she truly is remarkable, always providing comfort in times of need. Outside, the storm approaches...quietly, and with much stealth, the tiger is upon us. The lights flicker, winds howl, and outside the small dusty window, a feable tree whips its branches back and forth...it whips its branches back and forth...it whips its branches back and forth. Wife...is scared. She may have wet herself just a bit, but would never let on...however, her keen iPhone skills would in a few minutes alert us that the storm has passed. I muster the energy to make my way, slowly, to the small window. Peering out, the wet landscape gives way to a calmer, gentler sky. We are safe, everything will be ok now.
     Taking wife by the hand, we make our way back to the apartment. I alert the government that all is well and the city is safe to return home now. My job is done...my future is protected and my wife shall once again rest soundly knowing that hubs is on guard at all times, in any weather.

And now...some pictures of the evening:


View looking west from our balcony.


Looking east down Pernod Ave. We always have a Time Life photographer on hand.


Janele, flying the rescue copter. I took this as I parachuted into the danger zone.



- the Hubs

1 comment: